HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Sean winter <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2012 07:47:07 +0800
There has also been a fair bit of work done on convict era prisons in
Australia including the following:

Bosworth, M., & Jean, Amanda 1999. Interpreting confinement in
north-western Australia. Historic Environment, 14: 25-32.

Casella, E. C. 2001c. To Watch or Restrain - Female Convict Prisons in
19th-Century Tasmania. International Journal of Historical Archaeology, 5:
45-72.

Casella, E. C. 2009a. On the Enigma of Incarceration: Philosophical
Approaches to Confinement in the Modern Era. In: BEISAW, A. M. & GIBB, J.
G. (eds.) The Archaeology of Institutional Life. Tuscaloosa: University of
Alabama. 17-32.

Casella, E. C. 2009b. Written on the Walls: Inmate Graffiti within Places
of Confinement. In: BEISAW, A. M. & GIBB, J. B. (eds.) The Archaeology of
Institutional Life. Tuscaloosa: University of Alabama Press. 172-186.

Dewar, M., & Frederickson, Clayton 2003. Prison Heritage, Public History
and Archaeology at Fannie Bay Gaol, Northern Australia. International
Journal of Heritage Studies, 9: 45-63.

Gibbs, M. 2001. The Archaeology of the Convict System in Western Australia.
Australasian Historical Archaeology, 19: 60-72.

Kerr, J. S. 1984. Design for Convicts. Sydney: Library of Australian
History.

Winter, S. 2011. A Preliminary Report on Archaeological Investigations at
Two Western Australian Regional Convict Depots. Australian Archaeology, 73:
65-68.

Additionally there has been a lot of consultancy and post-grad work done at
the two world heritage sites of Fremantle Prison and Port Arthur, but so
far most of it is unpublished.

Hope this helps

Sean Winter

PhD Candidate in Archaeology