From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 19 Jan 2013 08:59:06 -0800
>Until proper, thorough and independent research has been done it would be
wise to abandon the use of neonicotiniods.

Chris, this sort of opinion does not add to our discussion on an "informed"
list.  Much "proper, thorough, and independent" research has been done, and
is currently being done.  Those in whom we have entrusted the job of
thoroughly reviewing such research have come to the conclusion that this
class of insecticides can generally be considered to be "reduced risk" to
both humans, off target species, and the environment as a whole.

They are certainly not without their problems, as with planting dust,
foliar sprays, or landscape uses.  I suggest that instead of calling for a
complete abandonment of their use, that instead we intelligently call for
more restricted use, where they have been clearly demonstrated to be more
benign than the insecticides that they replaced.

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA