HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Boyer, Jeffrey, DCA" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 24 Mar 2016 18:51:18 +0000
Such sad news. I never met Stan but, wow!, what an influence in the life of a budding historical archaeologist back in the late 70s-early 80s.
I took a class in historical archaeology from Jim Ayres at UoArizona in the late 70s at the prodding of my wife, who couldn't figure out why I might like prehistoric stuff but knew she could relate to historic (i.e., Euroamerican) archaeology. I tried to get out of it, asserting that historical archaeology was completely theory-deprived and was peopled by the likes of Mesoamericanists (also not the home of a lot of theory back then)—to no avail. Two weeks into Jim's class, I was hooked.
And then I discovered Stan's "Method and Theory in Historical Archaeology" and "Research Strategies in Historical Archaeology'! What a revelation! I got my first analytical job in archaeology because I had taken Jim's class and I had read Stan's books. Analyzing Euroamerican artifacts from late 19th-early 20th-century Navajo sites was a task no one else in the office wanted (who wanted to look at bottles and tin cans? The ethnohistorian already knew how old the sites were) and my "qualifications" were impeccable. As a neophyte, I no doubt completely misrepresented everything that Stan tried to convey in those two books but they have maintained a place of honor on my shelves ever since.
I am forever in debt to Stan South. Que descanse en paz, Stan.

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Supervisory Archaeologist/Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico

  *   The Center for New Mexico Archaeology
  *   PO Box 2087
  *   Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504
  *   e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"First I would learn to dig well and skillfully, then I would become able to analyze archaeological findings, and finally I would become a theoretician." — Richard "Scotty" MacNeish