HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
George Myers <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 6 Oct 2015 12:49:25 -0400
A number of years our then company Greenhouse Consultants was asked to
oversee the impacts of the Watervliet Shaker cemetery nearby Dayton, Ohio.
It was in the place the Dayton Power and Light Research Center was to go,
though a surveyor notes had placed it nearby  and a monument recently
placed there, later surveyed with GPR to make sure there was not another on
the edge of the orchard. Subsequently that September, using a "total
station" we dug 2.1 miles of trenches with three backhoes through the
property "belonging" to D. P. & L. on the former Shaker farm of nearly 1000
acres, with little standing remains, deeded for research. I was told
besides brooms and seeds they had patented a canned milk. Later I would
research the age statistics of all the Shaker communities, primarily in New
England, that had "started" in Watervliet, New York. As it turns out many
were very old when they passed on, apparently many there at the Shaker
settlements had been in their later decades of life and many certainly
surpassed the averages so thought for the 19th and early 20th century. I
think the data was presented in our report using the then new
"KnowledgeManager" program for new IBM XT to the NY SHPO which provided a
flat file database, spreadsheet and charts.