HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Agbe-Davies <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 16 Oct 2014 10:47:01 -0400
Hello HistArchers,

I'm building a new course (undergrad historical archaeology) for next
year and I thought this might make an interesting topic for
conversation, so after consulting the syllabi on the SHA webpage, I'm
wondering:

What is the one book (besides In Small Things Forgotten--which is pretty
much ubiquitous) that you like best for teaching an undergraduate course
in historical archaeology? And, even more crucially, why?

I'll go first.  For me, there's no book like Uncommon Ground for the
clarity and unfussiness of the writing, the balance between text and
artifact data in the argument, and the clear social message of the
entire project.

(Then again, I use it every year for another class, so I'm going to
resist my impulse to include it on this syllabus, too!)

Happy Thursday, all,

Anna

--
Anna S. Agbe-Davies, Ph.D.