Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 26 Jul 2013 18:56:36 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (61 lines)
Adrian Myers is also working with internment camps:  http://works.bepress.com/adrianmyers/subject_areas.html#Media%20Coverage

Jeff

Jeffrey L. Boyer, RPA
Supervisory Archaeologist/Project Director
Office of Archaeological Studies, Museum of New Mexico

*   The Center for New Mexico Archaeology
  *   7 Old Cochiti Road
  *   Santa Fe, New Mexico 87507
  *   tel: 505.476.4426
  *   e-mail: [log in to unmask]

"There comes a time in every rightly-constructed boy's life when he has a raging desire to go somewhere and dig for hidden treasure."  -- Mark Twain, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer

Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 10:54 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: Re: Stop the Fence at Tulelake Airport

For those interested, the National Park Service has done some fabulous work on Japanese camps and they show what an evaluation can find. See Burton, Jeffrey F., Mary M Farrell, Florence B. Lord, and Richard W. Lord 1999 Confinement and Ethnicity: An Overview of World War II Japanese American Relocation Sites. Publications in Anthropology 74. Western Archaeological and Conservation Center, NPS.  Also see the three-volume archaeological evaluation of Manzanar National Historic Site in the Owens Valley: Burton, Jeffrey, et al. 1996 Three Farewells to Manzanar: The Archeology of Manzanar National Historic Site, California. Publications In Anthropology 57.

I wonder how much integrity exists for Tule Lake if there is an airport over it.

Regards,

Jerry Schaefer

ASM Affiliates, Inc.
2034 Corte Del Nogal
Carlsbad, CA 92011
760-804-5757 (office)
760-804-5755 (fax)
http://www.asmaffiliates.com/

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pentney, Sandra
Sent: Friday, July 26, 2013 8:39 AM
Subject: Re: Stop the Fence at Tulelake Airport

I thought there was a push to get these camps evaluated and listed on the NRHP? I just checked my Google Earth App and it isn't listed. They really should be listed. Also, the FAA would have to go through the NEPA process to do this, but I can't find that on the internet either.

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of George Myers
Sent: Thursday, July 25, 2013 8:45 PM
Subject: Stop the Fence at Tulelake Airport

I was wondering if this is allowed under Federal 106 legislation. Or is it currently allowed under the so-called War Powers Act that created them in the first place. Some say white farmers wanted Mexican fieldworkers and put FDR over a barrel. It seems it would require a large archaeology survey, perhaps.

Current petition and aerial photo:

http://www.change.org/petitions/stop-the-proposed-fence-at-the-tulelake-municipal-airport-site-of-the-former-tule-lake-segregation-center-california

Message scanned by the Symantec Email Security service.  If you suspect that this email is actually spam, please send it as an ATTACHMENT to [log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2