Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Fri, 12 Oct 2012 17:32:29 +0100
7bit
From:
Peter Edwards <[log in to unmask]>
Katherine

You might do well to re-examine your questions:

>1 Which do you think is more detrimental to the craft of beekeeping: Varroa
>Mites, Colony Collapse Disorder, or another issue and why?

Allen is correct in what he wrote, but I would add that some might consider
varroa to be one of the main causes of CCD (if it exists).  As to 'another
issue' you could get so many opinions on this from around the world that you
find yourself writing a rather large book!  (Try the Bee-L archives and you
will see what I mean - and remember that we are a small subset of the
beekeepers around the world.)  Define 'craft' - are you referring to one
hive hobby beekeepers or commercial with thousands?

>2 How do you deal with these problems?

Again you could end up with information overload - and no way to verify the
truth of the answers.

>3 Do you think that different hive styles are better for dealing with or
>preventing diseases than others and if so, which ones?

You might as well look up data on the hives in use around the world - most
beekeepers probably think theirs is best.

>4 Which is more of a problem to the honeybees at this point in time in your
>opinion: Lack of education, lack of food-sources, or too many different
>diseases?

Again, it will depend on where the beekeeper lives.  If you get responses
then they could vary so much that you will be unable to summarise the data
to be useful.  I would suggest that you need to study how good surveys are
constructed.  You could do worst than talk to out National Beekeeping Unit
at Sand Hutton.

Best wishes

Peter
52.144244, -1.503509