ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Erin McLeary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 3 Sep 2013 10:37:53 -0400

Although we're getting a little far afield from the initial query, I wanted
to throw in an article I co-authored about a 1930s experiment in hands-on
learning in health museums that met quite a bit of resistance, the American
Museum of Health (the progenitor, more or less, of the late Cleveland
Museum of Health) . It's behind a paywall but I am happy to share a pdf
with anyone who is interested. The abstract and citation are below.

Erin

Am J Public Health. <http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/22515866#> 2012
Jul;102(7):e27-36. doi: 10.2105/AJPH.2011.300560. Epub 2012 Apr 19.
"Here man learns about himself": visual education and the rise and fall of
the American Museum of Health.
McLeary E<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=McLeary%20E%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22515866>,
Toon E<http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed?term=Toon%20E%5BAuthor%5D&cauthor=true&cauthor_uid=22515866>
.
Source

Abstract

When the American Museum of Health (AMH) opened in 1939 at the World's
Fair, its popularity convinced its organizers that the AMH was merely the
first in a nationwide network of health museums. The AMH's organizers had
imported an approach to health education developed in Germany, which
promoted health as a positive attribute through interactive, visually
impressive displays that relied on clarity and simplicity-as epitomized by
the "Transparent Man"-to encourage a feeling of wonder among exhibit goers.
However, other museum professionals rejected this approach, and the AMH
failed to catalyze a broad health museum movement. Nevertheless, the notion
that presenting the body as an object of wonder will improve the public's
health has reappeared in the more recent past, as popular anatomical shows
claim that exposing the interior of the human body will convince viewers to
live healthier lives.