ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Megan Pratt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 17 Jul 2013 06:30:31 -0500

We have recently started the Pensacola MESS Hall here in Florida. We have
had a great response from the community, and things are going very well.
However, we repeatedly get asked by visitors why the adult has to pay, too.
"I'm not going to do anything," is the typical statement. A recent email
feedback said, "I feel like the parents of children interested should NOT
be charged since we were the ones trying to instruct the children instead
of having someone in charge come and explain each experiment to us." We do
have things that adults enjoy, and many other adults are interested in
adult nights or other events. I doubt the folks who ask about not paying
would object to paying for a kids' movie or other so-called kids activity.

We usually try to explain to folks that it is a family learning experience,
that their kids will get more out of the visit with their parent or other
adult engaging with them. However, the question happens very early in the
interaction, and the customer is already a bit annoyed.

We are hoping that this is just a community learning experience, that many
of these folks just aren't familiar with the idea of a science museum. (We
get lots of calls asking, "What are you?") However, I would appreciate any
suggestions on how we can best diffuse the question about the adult fee.

Thanks.
Megan
Megan Pratt, Ph.D.
Executive Director