ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Charlie Carlson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 29 Feb 2012 07:53:39 -0800

Hi Martin,

I'm glad you've raised this issue again.  I really believe NSF support is essential for the on-going support and development of engaging and interactive science exhibits.  Unfortunately, in my personal view, the fundamental hypothesis and focus on learning goals was mis-directed and mis-leading.  There are many things that can be accomplished through first hand, lab like experiences and experimentation, and the social experience inherent in a family or group visit, but it's all applied theory and practice and highly nuanced by it's complexity, and impossible to measure in the particulars (at least not worthwhile to measure specifically because it's too hard).

I''m not contending that there aren't many benefits to the museum experience that spur and spark the joy of discovery and learning.  What's happened is what I thought was going to happen.  It not possible to infer significant meaningful educational differences from a museum setting.  It's too damn messy.  I think it's quite a pickle we've gotten ourselves into.

I would suggest that a more integrated and comprehensive approach to school curriculum and student performance, teacher adoption is the way to go.  Such an approach was suggested through the CSC and school partnership, but I don't think it came to much, or has come to much, and that's unfortunate.

The thing about a museum is that it is possible to experience many things first hand, make observations, and educate both teacher and student in both science, the tools of science, and potential solutions (maybe not the best, most elegant solutions, but solutions).  They also can reach a broad audience, essentially unlimited.

I think there needs to be some serious re-thinking and reformulating about the educational role of museums.  The measuring point ought to be with the student teacher relationship which will inherently reflect broader impacts and benefits.  Basically, museums could and should be considered stellar core science education facilities and should be used as such, but you got to work with the teachers (be they formal and or informal ones over a person's life time).

I'd like to see a bigger conference about the role of museum's in education (ideally it should run from researchers, to museum folks, to teachers ) and there needs to be congressional aids, etc. in attendance to start building a support base, as well as program officers.

I'm going to cc Dennis on this, he may be more up date about what's going.  There is such a need to infuse the activity and practice of science into the classroom.

I'd love to figure out a method for getting a broader discussion going.

All the best,
Sent from Charlie's iPad

Berkeley, CA
Mobile 510-499-8086