From:
Cusick Farms <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Dec 2012 21:38:44 -0500
Question and a comment:

<I look for queen annes lace, goldenrod, sunflowers ,
Spanish nettles and asters.>
The bees get something off queen annes lace?  I'm not sure if there are
multiple varieties or what, but I have never found my bees working queen
annes lace and I have a ton of it around, near and far from the hives.  I
only ever see various flies at it.

<What's upsets my help the most is bees bur combining brood boxes together.
<Have others on the list a method?>

This is probably not the answer your looking for, but I read about it and
tried it this year, so far so good.  Thicker topbars, that's it.

I get horrendous bur comb on plastic frames (comb runs right to the
top) and lots on the commercial wooden frames that I have from puchasing
nucs/singles (3/4 inch of wood).  I like woodworking though so I started
building my own equipment.  I use 1 inch thick topbars, I read somewhere
1.25inch works better (i.e. basically no burr comb), but I've had almost no
burr comb on top of the bars.  It made sense to me when I read it based on
observing the different types of frames I have and others hives, the bees
don't try to bridge the gap if there's a larger distance between the comb
and the one above. Not a lot to go on

What kind of frames are you running?

Obviously that affects several other things as well, like comb area and
cost per frame.  I cut mine from untreated extra thick yellow pine decking
I get cheap.  Obviously a hobbyist solution, but maybe there's someone
selling thicker topbars commercially?

Anyone else seen the same thing?

Jeremy
West Michigan