From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Nov 2012 15:30:30 -0500
> However, when we are speaking of honey, we gotta be careful about using the word "toxin."  Paracelsus made clear that all things are toxins.

Of course. When viewed in a certain way and taken to an extreme, the issue of toxicity can become almost comical, like the toxicity of water when it's over your head.

However, Aspergillus fumigatis is a fungus which produces highly toxic substances for the express purpose of killing other organisms. These substances are correctly classified as toxins, because they kill nearly everything, if supplied in sufficient doses. Hence, their usefulness in medicine in combatting opportunistic infections.

If immune systems were infallible, neither we nor our bees would ever get sick and we'd all die peacefully in our sleep. Meanwhile, in the real world, we are assaulted by novel pathogens and we must defend ourselves in various ways. Even insects are known to use the various ways of defense that we use.

Physical protection from exposure to disease, strong digestive acids, and the use of substances collected from the environment all serve to form a comprehensive defense system agains pathogens and even commensal organisms that may not be disease producing under normal circumstances but get out of hand.

Reference

> Aspergillus fumigatus, a common feed contaminant particularly ubiquitous in conserved forages, produces several mycotoxins that can affect the health of animals. The aim of this work was to assess the ability of A. fumigatus to produce toxins, particularly gliotoxin, on laboratory media and natural feed substrates. The ability of fourteen A. fumigatus strains to produce gliotoxin, verruculogen, fumagillin, and helvolic acid was evaluated

> A common contaminant in silage and hay is the saprophyte mould Aspergillus fumigatus. This fungus is the main causal agent of invasive aspergillosis in humans and animals and produces several toxic metabolites. Fumagillin, [is] an angiogenesis inhibitor not used therapeutically because of its high cytotoxicity and genotoxicity.

> In conclusion, A. fumigatus was highly toxinogenic. All strains tested produced two or more of the four mycotoxins monitored. Fumagillin and helvolic acid were present in all isolates whereas just a few isolates did not produce gliotoxin and/or verruculogen under the conditions tested.

Animal Feed Science and Technology 120 (2005) 113–123

* * *

Of course, as Bob points out, we only use this because the government hasn't discovered a suitable substitute. If they really wanted to, they could cure all disease but the pharmaceutical companies make more money off of us being sick. Ironically, the majority of the pharmaceutical sold do not really treat diseases, they are expensive placebos that often prolong suffering.