ISEN-ASTC-L Archives

Informal Science Education Network

ISEN-ASTC-L@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Richard O Brown <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Jun 2013 11:11:19 -0700

*(Oops, I hadn't noticed I'd replied to all of ISEN.  But this does pose an
interesting test case for how we evaluate and integrate new scientific
research, so for anyone interested:)*

The 2012 Harvard study, which Fuchs dismisses as "meaningless", "folly",
and "doesn’t deserve a moment of your attention", followed over 120,000 men
and women for over two decades.  (An independent NIH study followed 550,000
men and women for 10 years, and reached conclusions similar to the Harvard
study.)  So there's a large body of evidence here.

Fuchs implies the media misunderstood the Harvard study and went far beyond
the authors' modest claims.  In fact, the senior author of that study
stated, "This study provides clear evidence that regular consumption of red
meat, especially processed meat, contributes substantially to premature
death."  See
http://www.health.harvard.edu/newsletters/Harvard_Mens_Health_Watch/2012/June/cutting-red-meat-for-a-longer-life

Fuchs acknowledges that the Harvard study controlled for many possible
confounding factors, including race, age, weight, exercise, smoking,
alcohol, medicines, and personal and family health histories.  Fuchs
counters, "But there were almost certainly other differences that could not
be guessed or accounted for."  This is always a theoretical possibility in
epidemiological studies, even large, well-controlled ones like this, but in
public health one almost always has to rely on the preponderance of
evidence, not absolute proof.  The sort of study Fuchs demands, in which
thousands of people would be randomly assigned to either vegetarian or
meat-heavy diets for many years, is just not practical, and especially not
as a double-blind study.  By the way, this is exactly the same argument
tobacco supporters use to reject all the epidemiology linking smoking and
cancer.  (Curiously, Fuchs endorses observational studies of smoking, even
though they're logically equivalent to the diet studies he rejects, see
http://www.albertfuchs.com/blog/?p=1140)

Strangest of all, Fuchs - a physician - dismisses almost all of
epidemiology.  Besides his provocative title, "Epidemiology is much worse
for you than red meat", he states that "Observational studies have almost
never steered us towards the truth."  Epidemiology is a sophisticated field
of science, which has contributed greatly to current human health,
longevity, and current medical practice, despite inherent limitations of
observational methods.  Cholera, anyone?

-Richard