From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Jan 2013 10:00:05 -0600
Randy asked:
> What are you hearing about the bee supply for almonds?

I wanted to wait until my meetings yesterday which ended after midnight
sitting by a truck which will be loaded by now with hives headed to
California

I am going to leave names out but the information I share is gleaned from
the largest commercial beekeeper in the U.S, The largest in Florida,
possibly the largest in California and others.

Largest in U.S.

very short on hives for almonds

California:
2013 almonds needed 30,000 hives over last year so growers could buy
insurance. Standards (grading ) reduced and hearing of increase in pricing

Enough hives for his contracts but only by buying hives in Florida.

Florida:

Over 20,000 hives sold and being shipped. A semi load brought in and one
load shipped daily now till gone. sold out.

California commercial beekeeper predicts shortage similar to a few years
ago.

All the above say phones are ringing off the hook with growers and
beekeepers looking for hives.

Bob Harrison:
In my opinion the percent of growers wanting hives and not receiving will be
small as compared to the amount sent but impact will not be known till late
February. The commercial beekeepers in my circle are not seeing serious
issues but getting reports from growers and beekeepers needing hives.

Growers looking to be able to show proof to insurance companies of hives
rented are today willing to accept *dinks* for top dollar.

Out of state beekeepers sending only their best hives are thinking now of
sending the hives with less frames but trucking issues are starting. On
bought a semi to solve the problem.
others are using insulated refrigerated reefers .

Border issues still tough. Load held up for a bag worm  and another rewashed
at the bug station reported after all hives and pallets washed before
shipping over a a few SHB found.
One load held 24 hours in sun till the bug found was already in California.

California trying to collect a percent of pollination fees (taxes) from out
of state beekeepers are raising concerns.

bob