From:
randy oliver <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jan 2013 08:30:33 -0800
>Now, the nic's are in every part of the plant and there are no rules.

Actually, Ghislain, there are lots of rules.  And the neonics, although in
much of the plant, are only at enough concentration to kill pests when the
plants are small.  With canola, the seed treatment only controls aphids for
a few weeks, then is too dilute.

And what does it matter to bees if a corn plant contains neonics--the only
part that they eat is the pollen.  A definitive survey recently conducted
across the Corn Belt and Canada demonstrates that bees are exposed to only
very low levels of clothianidin in either corn pollen, or canola pollen and
nectar.

A recent large-scale field study (and every other "real-life" study) showed
that exposure of colonies to fields of treated canola did not impact their
health.

 >What we don't understand very well in Europe is that you don't apply the
precautionary principle

We do.  The precautionary principle is all a matter of degree.  For
example, one of the greatest risks to your health is to drive in a car.
 But do you avoid automobiles entirely?  If you do drive, then you are
clearly not following the precautionary principle.

> When safety is not proven, there is no use.

Ghislain, as Allen says, you are being rhetorical.  There is NO POSSIBLE
WAY to "prove" that anything is "safe."  Please note that every single
medicine on the market has a list of possible side effects, and is thus
known not to be "safe."  We live in a world full of potential dangers (lots
in my world, and lots of close calls)--please be realistic!

--
Randy Oliver
Grass Valley, CA