Date:
Fri, 18 Jan 2013 17:08:42 -0700
From: Mike S
.  It's only hybrid varieties that allow for the mass production of food
stuffs, an increase in production per acre, that minimizes the effects of
starvation in most of the world.  And even with that, starvation continues
to exist in some parts of the world.

Mike in LA

While hybridization is very important in our food supply, it does not
include the staff of life, small grains.  Hybridization of cereal grains has
been researched for some time, but has proven unsuccessful.  There have
actually been varieties released and planted, but they did not last long and
proved to be expensive and impractical to maintain.  Hybrid vigor in grasses
does not have the advantages that are seen in vegetables.
I do not know of any true hybrids in tree fruits either.
Do not confuss hybridization with the other aspects of plant breeding.  In
the other aspects segregation is allowed to go to completion or at least to
a stable point.  Then varieties are selected and propagated.
If our influence was removed our high yielding varieties would be selected
against due to the high number of seeds.  Plant densities are to high in the
volunteer generation.  It is simply to much competition for light, water,
and nutrients.
I often wish I could send those who think that "natural" is best back to the
day.  They would not willingly stay long.
Dave