From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 18 Oct 2012 10:24:30 -0400
> Bob has a point that we need to split every chance we can to keep our numbers up. These days it means going to the south. That was evident is the late 80's after suffering debilitating losses. Either poop or get off the pot.

I have said this before, but I will say it again. Those that don't know history are condemned to repeat it. I learned about beekeeping in the 1970s in Southern California. Beekeepers in the desert lost up to 80% of their hives in summer due to pesticides, temperatures as high as 120F, and queenlessness. They brought the bees over to the coast in winter to build them back up. They took advantage of spring blooms which started in January, made honey in April and went back to the desert in June, to try to make some more honey on irrigated alfalfa. Beekeepers have always been pulling rabbits out of hats, when it comes to resurrecting their hives after the latest wipeout. In fact, this is the principal behind the package bee industry. You sell 4 or 5 hives worth of bees out of your colonies, and then let them recover. That's the same as losing 80% of your bees, but it has to be done correctly, and as Kirk mentioned, you need to either feed 'em or get them on a good flow somewhere.

PLB