From:
"J. Waggle" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 6 Oct 2012 12:17:05 -0400
>If Tom Seeley is to be believed, ferals, and hived bees
too for that matter once they have gone back to nature,
select fairly small cavities compared to normal managed
hives.
====

OK, you said it,, and Seeley agrees,,,

The statement that all feral bees
are smarmy is false because it largely depends
on them selecting "fairly small cavities".

The assumption that ferals only have
"fairly small cavities" to select from is
flat out wrong.

My observations on void sizes in feral
colonies is that the largest voids often
exist in these housing complexes which
contain high end $300.000 homes with
lots of gingerbread and subsequent
voids.  I tend to get the largest swarms
from housing complexes.  I suppose homeowners,
looking down too worried about their
lawn being better manicured than their
neighbors, often fail to look up, allowing
many of these colonies to go undetected
for years.

-Joe Waggle