Date:
Thu, 4 Oct 2012 10:49:35 -0400
> ...  the oldest samples available, when checked did
> show ceranae.   I understand this is true pretty much for the rest of
> the world.  Here the treatment by fumagillin is illegal, management
> being regarded  as the key.

This question has puzzled me for decades. Furgala brought nosema to the
forefront half a century ago and demonstrated that nosema was causing
significant losses of colonies and of production.  Many of us read this
and used fumagillan for a while, but could never see a nosema problems
and quit.

Obviously nosema is a big problem some places and some times, but I have
never been able to see it as a problem in my outfit, and I've looked.In
my case, I could not even find one spore in my own samples and had to
borrow bees from a friend to prove I was using the right techniques.

Geoff says nosema control is matter of management and I tend to agree.
I'd be interested in any study that can show what is the difference
between those of us who have never had a problem and those who have
problems with it.

My feeling is that it comes down to empathy and that nosema has to do
with the size and timing of splits and the skill of the operator and
crew in avoiding stress on the bees.

There are many subtle differences between beekeepers that are not
obvious until you follow them around for a while.