HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Barbara Hickman <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Apr 2014 21:42:00 +0000
http://saa.org/Portals/0/SAA/GovernmentAffairs/Nazi%20War%20Diggers-V5.pdf

The SAA Government Affairs page has a copy of a letter sent to National Geographic regarding the Nazi Diggers show on 31 March 2014. The European Association of Archaeologists is shown as a cosigner of the letter.

The NPS April 2014 Archeology E-Gram sent today mentions that ,
"The Society for American Archaeology has formed a task force on Metal Detecting of Archaeological Sites in Reality TV. The task force is chaired by Giovanna Peebles, State Archeologist of Vermont (and former SHPO). The task force was formed in late 2013 and will report to the SAA board this Spring. Peebles has been in touch with National Geographic, but the work of the task force extends well beyond the Diggers program. The task force has reached out to metal detector groups, professional archeologists, government regulators, and the general public."

Another meeting with National Geographic? Apparently this outreach needs to go global, given the egregious Nazi Diggers. The issue keeps growing. NatGeo has shown television can make a buck (or euro) with these idiotic shows.