Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 30 Dec 2013 08:36:56 -0800
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (66 lines)
You can get a pXRF and do it yourself also. If you have budget to get one, a big if, you can talk to Niton, Bruker, or Innovex or others to test them for a few weeks. That is what we did on the FS before we got ours. 

Mark Howe 

"Life is how you make it, the future is how you leave your past." 

> Date: Mon, 30 Dec 2013 16:18:31 +0000
> From: [log in to unmask]
> Subject: Re: Slag question
> To: [log in to unmask]
> 
> Thanks Bill! We do plan to send it to a local lab with an XRF machine.
> 
> Have a great holiday!
> 
> Scott S. Williams
> Cultural Resources Program Manager, WSDOT
> Ph: 360.570.6651
> WSDOT Cultural Resources Program on the Web
> 
> 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Bill Liebeknecht
> Sent: Tuesday, December 24, 2013 5:44 AM
> Subject: Re: Slag question
> 
> Scott,
> 
> The feature you described does sound like iron ore reduction as in a bloomery but as you are in an area rich in other ores, you may be looking at a prospecting trial of some other mineral to assess the quality.  If you have access to an XRF machine or have samples you could submit to a lab you
> should be able to figure out what the original product may have been.   I
> recently had a similar pit used to reduce bog iron from an 18th century site in southern Delaware in which we had Carl Blair from Michigan Tech look at the slag.
> 
> Bill Liebeknecht, RPA
> Hunter Research, Inc.
> Trenton, NJ 
> 
> -----Original Message-----
> From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Williams, Scott
> Sent: Monday, December 23, 2013 7:51 PM
> Subject: Slag question
> 
> A pit feature was recently found here in WA state that looks like a typical earth oven of the area (i.e., big unlined pit with charcoal and oxidized soil), but instead of fire-cracked rocks it has some kind of "frothy"
> looking slag- the material is black, hard and looks silica-rich/glassy, but soft enough to crumble or break with some pressure. It doesn't look like slag from iron working to me, but my experience with iron slag is pretty limited. I'm looking for suggestions of other processes that might have created the material, or any thoughts on what could produce black, finely-vesicular slag.  There's no glass or other historic debris in the pit feature, and it looks like whatever created the slag was done in the pit-in other words, it doesn't appear to be a refuse pit filled with clean-out from another source.
> 
> If this sounds like anything you've encountered before, I 'd love to hear from you!
> 
> Scott S. Williams
> Cultural Resources Program Manager, WSDOT Environmental Services Office, Mottman PO Box 47332, Olympia, WA 98504-7332
> Ph: 360.570.6651
> Mobile: 360.485.5350
> Fax: 360.570.6633
> [log in to unmask]<mailto:[log in to unmask]>
> WSDOT Cultural Resources
> Program<http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Environment/CulRes/default.htm> on the Web
> 
> "Development is not stifled by history, but enriched by it."

ATOM RSS1 RSS2