HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Carl Steen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 10:41:18 -0400
 Here's a trick I learned a couple of years ago. A state agency here in SC received Obama stimulus money to do some archaeology at a plantation site and an associated African-American cemetery. "How much money do you have to spend?" I asked the arch. in charge. He quoted a figure that would fund an interesting project. I wrote a 10 page proposal that included interviews with local residents who still used the cemetery, remote sensing, as much excavation as possible, etc and still stayed within their budget. When the bid opening came the winner was notified within 10 minutes. No one even read my proposal. And the winner only bid about 2/3 of what I did, and did the most basic work possible... The trick? Don't waste time trying to do good research when the client is only interested in who made the lowest bid.

Carl Steen