Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 25 Sep 2012 08:41:28 -0400
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (26 lines)
1) The single most important ethical concern for archaeologist to today in CRM is, what kind of firm do you work for, one who strives for compliance and profit at any cost or one who strives for knowledge and understanding at a fair price.  Too many firms are more concerned with cranking out formulaic reports for the almighty dollar, where 90% of the report is written before they enter the field.  There do not seem to be serious research question beyond the standard... we will attempt to date the site, determine what they ate and make an attempt to find out who lived there.  We need more science not just compliance! We need to look at the big picture, not operate with blinders on at individual sites!

2) I obviously work in CRM and have done so for over 25 years.  I enjoy the pace and the variety of sites which present themselves.  

Bill Liebeknecht, MA, RPA
Principal Investigator
Hunter Research, Inc.
Trenton, New Jersey   

-----Original Message-----
From: HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY [mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Ryan Kennedy
Sent: Tuesday, September 25, 2012 2:20 AM
To: [log in to unmask]
Subject: ethics question

Hello all,
As part of an archaeological ethics course I have been asked to observe and/or participate in an ethical conversation on a listserv, forum, etc. I thought it could be interesting to poll Histarch with a simple, two-part question:

1) What do you think is the single most important ethical concern for archaeologists today?

2) Very briefly, how do you define yourself as an archaeologist? (ie what sector do you work in, etc.)

Your answers will be used only to stimulate discussion in class, and I won t share any personal or identifying information. Also, please feel free to shoot me an email off-list if you would be more comfortable doing so.

Thanks in advance to those of you who respond, Ryan

ATOM RSS1 RSS2