HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Karlis Karklins <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 7 Nov 2011 19:13:37 -0500
A *lot* has been written on beads. A number of relevant sources are listed
in the annotated bead bibliographies compiled by Karklins and Sprague that
are on the Society of Bead Researchers web site:
http://www.beadresearch.org/Pages/Bead_Bibliography.html

While these bibs are several decades old, they do contain the various major
reports by myself, Kenneth Kidd, Lyle Stone, and Lester Ross, among others.
Check them out.

As for distinguishing trade beads from rosary beads, a study I did of beads
recovered from several sites in Quebec City revealed that what would have
been considered typical "trade beads" elsewhere, were utilized for rosaries
there. So, unless the beads are found directly associated with a crucifix,
it is difficult to segregate sacred from secular use. Lacking the presence
of a crucifix or a religious medallion, one definite clue is if any beads
are found on brass or copper links. Contemporary necklaces generally were
not strung on metal links but on string. So the presence of metal links
generally indicates rosary use.

Karlis