HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Rob Mann <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 17 Jul 2011 11:44:40 -0500
Dear HISTARCH members,

The Galveztown Project 2011 Crew and I would like to invite you to follow our progress this summer at the Galveztown site in Ascension Parish, Louisiana.  Galveztown was a ca. 1778-1825 Spanish colonial village and fort inhabited primarily by Canary Islanders brought to Louisiana by the Spanish to serve as colonists and soldiers.  Following up on three seasons of shovel testing in the village area, LSU summer archaeological field school students are targeting an area of thick sheet midden deposits in hopes of locating a house within the village.

In addition to being encouraged to post frequently on our Facebook page, the students are also required to post twice a week to our project blog (see links below).  The goal is to get the students to be self-reflexive about the what, where, how, and why questions of field arachaeology and to be able to communicate those thoughts to each other and the general public.  The blog entries are also great moments of self-reflexivity for me was well.  I use them to critically evaluate my own abiltity to communicate with the students.

To follow our project (and post your own comments on our Facebook page) please check out these links:

http://groundtruth.typepad.com/archaeology_at_galveztown/

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Archaeology-at-Galveztown-2011-Season/130820653662463

Best,
Rob

Rob Mann, Ph.D.
Regional Archaeologist and Assistant Profefssor-Research
Department of Geography and Anthropology
Louisiana State University
Baton Rouge, Louisiana 70803