In-Reply-To:
Content-Type:
text/plain; charset=utf-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding:
quoted-printable
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (28 lines)
Hi Beth,
The pictures are helpful, but don’t allow one to zoom in too closely. It looks like gravel in the body of the concrete and not shell. Is that the case?
Thanks,
Tim

> https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5vTSAivbrEfMzJXeHJsVmI0aGs&usp=sharing <https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B5vTSAivbrEfMzJXeHJsVmI0aGs&usp=sharing>
> 
> I apologize the link failed to attach.

> On Sep 8, 2016, at 9:49 AM, Elizabeth Chance Campbell <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
> 
> Hello Everyone,
> 
> This summer I conducted fieldwork on an 1866 Watermill in Central Florida.  I was attempting to determine the original construction methods the millwright would have used.  It is obvious that the foundation had been retro-fitted with modern masonry units or concrete block, but during excavation I was able to recover what appears to be poured concrete.
> 
> I have included pictures of the mill itself and of some of the material recovered, I was hoping someone on here might recognize the poured concrete  and help me with an insight into what it might have been made of or how he would have made it in Florida in the 1860's.  I don't believe he had access to Portland cement due to the time period and the ease of access to materials in Central Florida at the time.  As you know Florida is full of limestone and it is possible he could have locally sourced it.  
> 
> 
> 
> 
> Thank you in advance for your help.
> 
> Beth

ATOM RSS1 RSS2