Condense Mail Headers

Date:
Wed, 3 Oct 2012 15:27:21 -0400
Subject:
From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
> The percentage of treatment-free beekeepers is a simple way to document this transition.

Unfortunately, it's not that simple. First, there is a broad range from complete let-alone to 6 treatments a year. Secondly, people are seldom candid about losses, especially when they are trying to prove something. This is hardly a new idea, and despite wild claims, nothing has ever been backed up with a shred of evidence.

For a while the organic beekeeping crowd was claiming that they had some 3000 members and none of them lost any bees. It came to light that they were counting anybody who signed up to the yahoo group, including an uncounted number of non-beekeepers. Next, as evidence that nobody lost bees -- well, nobody said they did. Which proves zip.

Beekeepers have always lost bees. I am an historian of beekeeping and in this region (NY State) one hundred years ago, 40% to 50% losses were common. In the Imperial Valley of California in the 1970s, such losses were not unexpected. So, when somebody tells me they don't lose bees, I figure it's BS.

Pete