Date:
Thu, 27 Dec 2012 17:13:52 -0700
 > I agree that cold is not the issue... It is moisture and
 > our number one concern is starvation... Candy boards have
 > been the greatest improvement and I believe the greatest
 > factor in our survival rate along with adequate stores.

There you go.  Nice summary.  Assuming that the moisture
is within bounds, starvation is the real issue, and it can
happen for many reasons, even in the midst of plenty.

Candy boards guarantee soft feed right above the cluster
where they can reach it -- at least until the centre is
eaten away.  They should be replenished once the
remaining scraps are outside the cluster.

This assumes no pre-existing problems with bee health.
In my experience many losses are due to problems with
bee health going into winter.