From:
Bob Harrison <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Sep 2012 19:34:36 -0500
It works for my operation, and it is my personal experience that
> I start to see virus problems at about 5% infestation (again ballpark, as
> neither the bees, the mites, nor the viruses keep track).  At 15% you can
> kiss the colony goodbye.

The above goes with my observations. Timing is the key component to varroa
control. Extraction needs done by now in Missouri. Checking for mites and
treating is the order of the day. I try to emphasize to the other two
commercial beeks in the area they need to get busy.

Letting an old man with a larger operation finish weeks before you should be
embarrassing.

As O.B. Wiser ( anonymous bee magazine author) wrote "I am filling drums
and cleaning equipment and the others are going to start getting serious
about extracting and treating tomorrow."

Missouri update:

Hurricane Isaac brought 4-6 in. of perfect rain over my yards. I was worried
about feeding before normal but the rains have brought out many fall honey
plants almost overnight. Goldenrod, Spanish nettle, sunflowers and a few I
am not sure of the name.  Will save me a huge amount of money I would have
had to spend on syrup & patties.  I will have to wait to move the hives into
the holding yard now so planning on going relaxing & fishing. For me the
beekeeping
year is about over.

Sincerely,
Bob Harrison
Midwest

Ps. I make treatment decisions by removing capped brood at the purple eyed
stage. Not talked about yet but  learned from Harris & Harbo (USDA Baton
Rouge Bee lab) years ago.
In Missouri treating for mites in fall is a no brainer especially when you
do not run a line of varroa tolerant bees.