HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Linda Derry <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 14:28:44 -0500
Rita,

I love your facebook page and - fair warning - I'm going to steal much of it.  <SMILE>

Actually, I am not very savvy about facebook.  I’m a new user, and I am just stumbling my way through, but  already it is proving to be a wonderful tool for us.  I'm working with an archaeological park, rather than an active excavation, so my experiences may, or may not, interest you.   Here's how we are using FB:

1. BROADING OUR APPEAL.

We are trying to raise awareness and funds in order to preserve a very large archaeological site. So, we don't really care if people love the site because of ongoing archaeology or because of the pretty flowers that grow on top of the site, or because they believe that ghosts inhabit the place.  We just want them to love it for whatever reason, so they will help support its preservation.   With that in mind, we are using facebook to broaden the appeal of our site.   www.facebook.com/oldcahawba

2. FEEDBACK AND EVALUATION
FB is flexible enough to let us to reach many different market segments. One day we can highlight an archaeological find, the next a rare but photogenic wildflower.   And, like magic,  we can track which of our posts are "liked" the most or shared the most.    This can be very eye-opening information.  - & sometimes heartbreaking.

The best part of FB is the  feedback and evaluation it provides.   Knowing the age, gender and location of people viewing, or talking about your posts is invaluable information. (now we know who our "Peeps" are!)   Before FB, this information was very hard to come by.

Recently, we had some vandalism, and I was surprised at the response from our FB users - they not only expressed sympathy and outrage, but they posted on other very visible facebook and web pages in an effort to catch the vandals.

3. ADVERTISING BUDGET RELIEF
FB allows us to reach out to a great number of people with our very limited budget.  We're finding that FB is reaching many more people that our printed material did.

4. BEST PRACTICES
We have found that good pictures on facebook (or websites) are to people,  like honey is to bears.  Text is not nearly as important as a good pictures!  Especially when dealing with tourism, reporters and all media.

5. POLITICS
All of the historic sites at my agency started their facebook pages about the same time, and whereas most are stuck in the range of 75 - 300 likes, our archaeological park had topped 1300 likes, so those stats will be be excellent feedback to use in departmental politics and budget negotiations!   Interest in our out-of-the-way archaeological site has surprised many people who think its all about architecture.

Your work with facebook sounds very promising, and I believe the sky's the limit as far as finding meaningful ways to use FB in the ways you suggest.

Unfortunately, all it takes it time, and all of us are short on that commodity.  Posting and analyzing the feedback could easily be a full time job.  I say, yes FB is a necessity, but there are other digital venues that are nipping at its heels, and might reach younger audiences.   Pin Interest, for example, is big among tourism folks.

By the way, here's our facebook address: www.facebook.com/oldcahawba

Linda Derry
Site Director
Old Cahawba