HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Russell Palmer <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Jun 2013 02:53:03 +0200
We would like to invite contributions to the session, “*Colonial
Institutions and their enduring material aftermaths*,” which has been
accepted by the organizing committee of SHA 2014 <http://www.sha2014.com/>.

Chair: Harold Mytum
Discussant: Suzanne Spencer-Wood

The aim of the session is to consider explicitly the relationships between
institutions—broadly interpreted—and colonial powers. This can be
interpreted in various ways including (i) straightforward colonial
impositions and (ii) by acknowledging that the effects of colonialism do
not simply disappear and that the processes are multiple. Therefore we
encourage equally contributions that deal with institutions under colonial
powers and those that deal with the effects of postcolonialism, or
“imperial debris,” that are reformulated and continue to shape institutions
after independence or a change in colonial power. We are also interested in
submissions relating to how colonial experiences have shaped institutions
in the imperial homeland. It is our ambition to cover a range of
geographical and historical viewpoints

Please contact [log in to unmask] or [log in to unmask]

Best wishes,
Russell and Laura

Russell Palmer
PhD Candidate
Historical Archaeology Research Group (HARG)
University of Ghent