From:
Jerry Bromenshenk <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 27 Mar 2013 11:40:04 -0400
[log in to unmask] (mailto:[log in to unmask])   writes:

I would  like to explore additives we could use in our syrup that we feed
in early  spring
and fall. Any ideas?

I agree with Randy, when an additive or supplement is proven to work,
they'll be shouting it from the rooftops.

Obviously some additives act as feeding stimulants.  We can get sick  bees
that won't take fumadil in syrup, have gone off feeding, to renew feeding
by adding a splash of honey bee healthy.

BUT, I have no idea whether honey bee healthy is anything over being
something that bee apparently like the taste.

We've been working with a faculty  Fulbright from India, have a  project
that a high school senior is taking to the National Sci  Fair.   They took one
of the popular 'recipes' amongst beekeepers,  deconstructed it, and tested
each component.  10 oils plus one that had a  funny name for an oil - it
wasn't, it was an antibiotic.

Lesson 1 - if you make up OR purchase from a supplier, find out what's in
it.

Then, of the 10, 8 reduced bee longevity.

Lesson 2 - not all oils are beneficial

Two showed some promise in increasing bee life span - one also seems to
have some effect in terms of reducing viruses.  We're continuing  work.

Lesson 3 - there may be some oils that have a positive effect, but it is
going to take some time to sort them out.

We haven't tested the mix yet - its possible, but not probable, that the
mix of 8 negatives, one iffy, and one beneficial oil have a different effect
that the parts.

Lesson 4 - we still have lots to learn.

Bottom line - if anyone says they've a product that is the magic bullet in
terms of reducing viral loads, ask for proof.  And be sure its not a  short
term response to an antibiotic suppressing foul brood - leading almost
certainly in the long term to resistance and loss of effectiveness.  Not to
mention, highly illegal practice.

Jerry