Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 21:16:54 -0400

I see that my words got garbled and someone else's' tacked on, reversing
my meaning
.
There is also some confusion as to what the word, "that" is meant to
refer to in several instances.  I try to be clear, but apparently was
not.  Sorry.

Just to set things straight, Here is what I said or meant to say:
---
"We marked the three best in every yard in years before varroa and
"would say that the best producers also wintered best.

"They generally survived sufficiently well that we were able to do
"several other selections (size, chalk, temperament, etc.) and still
"have 80+ hives in the breeding yard to start.

"I have not done that(1) recently, but really do not see that(2)
"happening where I am or in the hives of Alberta commercial beekeepers
"in the past several years, but then, varroa is very low and the use of
"anything besides fumagillan, formic and amitraz is unusual.
---
(1) "that" here means the marking and selection.
(2) "that" here  refers to the phenomenon being discussed, namely the
crashing of the best producers.  We don't see it, but then we currently
have almost no varroa thanks to Apivar.

Sorry if I was not clear.  We do not see it. It being the crashing.

Clear now?

One last thing: I had fairly high varroa this year -- ~10% in some hives
at the end of August -- and so far am not seeing the crashing described.
  Of course, I got Apivar on them STAT.