Informal Science Education Network <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 17 Aug 2013 18:13:08 +0000
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (36 lines)
ISEN-ASTC-L is a service of the Association of Science-Technology Centers
Incorporated, a worldwide network of science museums and related institutions.

I've worked at two science centers who did massive expansions and now at a small history museum that is in the midst of an expansion, so the Exploratorium news is very sad, yet not unexpected.  Sad of course for the folks who are losing their jobs, and very sad for the institution that will be losing a vital part of it's institutional memory it appears, plus very sad for the public at large who will not benefit from the creative spirit of these people.  I have always wondered why cutting the people is ALWAYS the first answer.  Seeing that folks who have been with the Exploratorium for so many years were cut, really troubles me and should trouble anyone who is a bit long in the tooth shall we say.  (Yes,  some new hires were laid off as well, but it appears some folks were encouraged to take early retirement).   

Looking to long time staff to take early retirement, as the article suggested, smacks of ageism.  Whatever happened to last hired/first fired?  Institutional memory, especially for an icon like Exploratorium, is vital to an organization.  Change is inevitable and usually good (though painful).   Having people who know what has gone before and who helped get you where you are, is essential to keeping you on track.  It seems, and perhaps I say this because I'm no longer at the start of my career, the older, more experienced staff seem to be targeted during these times more than younger staff.  Yes, we old folks cost more in terms of benefits.   When you do the accounting for your annual insurance premium those numbers really get noticed.  But what older staff bring to the table in terms of experience and wisdom cannot be easily replaced.  Too often in our society it appears we no longer respect that wisdom.  New and shiny is not always the answer, sometimes old and rusty still works just fine.  People who have been around a place for ten or twenty years have loyalty to the actual mission.  I don't think I'm making a grand assumption here, especially considering the thoughtful comments of the laid off long time staffer in the article from SF Gate.  If you've hung on through thick and thin, still love what you do, and show up ready to keep doing it, I can't figure out why that isn't valued and rewarded?  Why would anyone ask someone like that to leave?

What baffles me is why institutions continually project numbers that are so unrealistic.  Having sat at  tables where these projection numbers were tossed around, optimism, and the more optimistic the better,  is rewarded and any doubt or caution is dismissed as negativity.  Since this pattern repeats itself over and over during expansions I would love to know why no one making these projections takes that historic information from other places, into account?   In an effort to appease the people underwriting the expansion, (who by and large appear to have no knowledge of how nonprofits really work), it appears the numbers reflect what the lenders want to see.  

Then again, one wonders where the public has been?  Were their expectations not met?  Is it too expensive?  Did you do too many discounts?  Is it too crowded to be fun?  The many times I visited the original Exploratorium I never encountered a time when I felt it was too crowded and I couldn't enjoy the exhibits.  So, if people are now experiencing crowded times that diminish the experience, then I would think that would tell me I need to rethink how many people should be in the building at any given time.  The public appears to have little patience for places not immediately living up to expectations.  Once those visitors have a bad experience, it is harder than ever to change their minds and get them to give you another chance.  

Here's hoping that others heading down the expansion path make a phone call or two to places like the Exploratorium and learn from their painful realities...then revise their numbers to reflect what is more likely to happen.  Best of luck to those who must leave their jobs.   Hiring managers, here's a heads up, some amazing people are now available grab them quick they are worth every penny!

Marcia Hale
Director Guest Services & Public Programs
Washington County Museum
Hillsboro, OR  
[log in to unmask]

For information about the Association of Science-Technology Centers and the Informal Science Education Network please visit www.astc.org.

Check out the latest case studies and reviews on ExhibitFiles at www.exhibitfiles.org.

The ISEN-ASTC-L email list is powered by LISTSERVR software from L-Soft. To learn more, visit
http://www.lsoft.com/LISTSERV-powered.html.

To remove your e-mail address from the ISEN-ASTC-L list, send the
message  SIGNOFF ISEN-ASTC-L in the BODY of a message to
[log in to unmask]

ATOM RSS1 RSS2