Date:
Thu, 1 Mar 2012 13:10:35 -0500

Randy has suggested a group study of pesticides and bees.
I spent many years  conducting pollution impact studies,  with hundreds of
volunteers taking samples and  making measurements  (70s-80s, then on to
more traditional research trials at DOE and DoD sites  during 90s through 2002.

Since our primary issue at the time of working  with volunteers (70s-80s)
was the possible air pollution impacts  from EPA Superfund  Hazardous Waste
Sites, the environmental, human, and  legal aspects were in many ways similar
to those that will be encountered  with a study of pesticides and bees.
Bad science wouldn't accomplish anything useful, the science  had to be
good.
We managed to publish our citizen (volunteer) science in  journals such as
Science, so I think we  met the quality   standard:
Science  8 February 1985:
Vol. 227 no. 4687 pp. 632-634 DOI:  10.1126/science.227.4687.632 Pollution
Monitoring of Puget Sound with Honey Bees _J.  J. BROMENSHENK_
(http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=J.+J.+BROMENSHENK&sortspec=date&submit=Submit)
, _S.  R. CARLSON_
(http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=S.+R.+CARLSON&sortspec=date&submit=Submit) , _J.  C. SIMPSON_
(http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=J.+C.+SIMPSON&sortspec=date&submit=Submit)  and _J.  M. THOMAS_
(http://www.sciencemag.org/search?author1=J.+M.+THOMAS&sortspec=date&submit=
Submit)
When we conducted this study, which encompassed several years,  EPA sent
out Quality Assurance Monitors to visit and audit our  volunteers.  The EPA QA
folks were sure we couldn't conduct  quality research with a volunteer
group and attain quality  standards.
They were wrong, and they admitted it.  Our  success  ended up impacting
future work through some of the EPA labs - if a  contractor said it wasn't
possible to impose a high level of Quality  Assurance/Quality Control (QA/QC)
standards on a field study, EPA  pointed to our  research; reasoning, if we
could do it with volunteers,  then there was no reason why a contractor could
n't figure out how  to meet rigorous QA/QC with their trained crews.
That's not to say conducting citizen based science was easy,  nor cheap.
It was a lot of fun, but also a lot of work.  I spent  a lot of time on the
road.  We had to not only establish Standard Operating  Protocols (guidelines
for how to do each measurement), but I had to TRAIN each  and every
volunteer.  I then visited most of them to observe (audit) how  they  were doing
things.  Since EPA was cautious, they then sent out  their own QA/QC auditor
for an independent audit.
I and my EPA project officer eventually wrote a paper  describing the
experience:
Individual Article (Electronic Only) available on the  web:  _Public
participation in environmental monitoring: A means of attaining network
capability_ (https://springerlink3.metapress.com/content/up13t47518048017/)   _Jerry
 J. Bromenshenk_
(https://springerlink3.metapress.com/content/?Author=Jerry+J.+Bromenshenk)  and _Eric  M. Preston_
(https://springerlink3.metapress.com/content/?Author=Eric+M.+Preston)   _Environmental  Monitoring and
Assessment_ (https://springerlink3.metapress.com/content/0167-6369/) , 1986, _Volume
6,  Number 1_ (https://springerlink3.metapress.com/content/0167-6369/6/1/)
, Pages 35-47.
Bottom line from this  paper, we  found:
(1) Volunteers with proper  training  and oversight could satisfy QA/QC
(similar  to the GLP  mentioned by David Fischer earlier today).  If EPA is
going to take  your  results seriously, you  have to establish, maintain, and
document GLP (Good Laboratory Practices),
(2) Volunteers sometimes did better at  taking samples and making
measurements than trained researchers - the   researchers may have been tired, in a
rush to finish or catch a plane, or just  brain-dead from days and  days of
sampling  and making measurements,  so they  weren't always on top of things.
 The volunteers had a vested  interest in the results, in most cases, the
beehives were in their own  backyards.  I'd get lengthy letters, calls about
people worried whether  they were doing it  right.
(3) Small scale (I still call  them hobby  beekeepers) were the most
dependable in terms  of correctly  sampling, on time, making the correct
measurements,  carefully documenting  everything  - they have the free time and
interest.
Large scale beekeepers were always  helpful, but they would get busy, truck
would break down, someone  got sick  or left, they were short on crew -
the priorities of running the  business would usurp the testing/measurements.
With them, it was often  better to let them offer access to colonies, have
someone else conduct the   tests, make the measurements. (Here's where I
expect some push  back from  the List - Randy  I'd imagine would prioritize
trials, but making a  living and hive management has to be the first concern of
many commercial  beekeepers).
(4) Our results have held up, in  follow on studies conducted by the Air
Pollution agencies in the  Seattle/Tacoma area.  Specifically, our maps of
pollution dispersion  have  held up.  Almost two decades later when these
agencies conducted  extensive soil sampling  and analysis - the soils showed the
same  dispersion patterns as the bees from the early 80s.  In fact, their
reports acknowledge that the bee study was the best match of all of the
studies  that they could find, over all of the years.
(5) However, this citizen  science approach wasn't exactly cheap.  Ensuring
the quality of  the data required training, audits, chain of custody for
samples, chemical  analysis, etc.  The LABOR force was  greatly expanded, so
we were  able to do a lot more, but  there was a significant cost to
organizing and  running the trials.
Without  training, coordination,  audits - you have no idea of the quality
of the science, and any results will be  questioned.  If the people
conducting the studies do a bad job, the results  will just confound the key issues.
Years ago, I suggested that a study  like this could be done, and also that
the data streamed to the web in real  time.  People thought I was joking.
I'm not, the technology is there  for equipping hives with scales, adding
weather data, etc.  Taking the  volunteer idea to the next level, even data
processing and  exploration could be distributed - but again, one needs to
establish clear  guidelines, or this  will  just add to the confusion.
Can it be done - certainly.  And,  it is a way to get the public involved.
Local groups could sponsor  hives.  For the busy  beekeeper, a retiree,
small  scale, high  school  or college student could conduct the measurements.
But, this all needs oversight and  coordination, if you want the data to be
useful.
Jerry