HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
scarlett <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 19:07:52 -0400
Conrad,

While someday in the future, there may be a communication technology that will allow 5,000 or 6,000 people to seamlessly interact in a virtual environment, that is not today.  Free programs (Skype) and costly programs (Adobe Connect Pro) are not able to handle that many people.  And it is important to understand that technology does not provide "free" communication.  Someone is paying for the high-speed web connection at your home or office, someone is paying for the bandwidth of the data transmission, someone is paying for the computer hardware you are using, your headphones, microphone, software, tech support, and so on.  Just moving to a digital environment will not usher in a utopian community.  There will still be winners and losers, such as age discrimination or technological literacy, and someone somewhere will pay for it all to happen. Many of us can't get our laptop to connect to a projector without calling for help from the audience. The tech support required to bring off a virtual live conference of 5,000 people as an MMORPG (Massive Multi-Player Online Role Playing Game) would be formidable.

Maybe someday, but not today.

One could build it with short videos and online commentary and discussion, in the style of the TED conference. But that communication would lack all the additional social connectivity of real conference events. Maybe that's ok, but it is not a replacement for the conference experience.  Why not organize an event like the one you imagine?  See how it will work.  Try to transform the archaeological world by organized and collective action.  Publish your work in open access journals, then promote those in places like HISTARCH. Help make those journals high-quality publications where people want to publish. In teacher's terms, "Show, don't tell."

I believe that archaeology is a profession, not a job.  We go to conferences because that is where we sit down together as a community. Few of us are paid to attend conferences, we are a poorly paid profession, and there has been a proliferation of conferences and events. The majority of us must pick and choose which events to attend. That's life.  I live in a very rural area with only one airline providing two flights a day to the nearby airport with a six or eight hour, one-way drive to the nearest city.  Attending my "local" state archaeology conference usually would require either a 10 or 12 hour drive or a plane ticket and car rental, essentially costing me the same as attending a national meeting. That's the breaks of living where I live-which I love, by the way.

I also don't understand your critique of time and resources away from research.  The Quebec meeting is in January and is mostly on the weekend. The vast majority of archaeologists are not doing fieldwork in January (at least in the global north).  It requires a person to be away from their job for two or thee work days at most, which most people take as vacation time or sick-leave, so the unpaid trip has no bearing on the "cost to the client" anyway. Public tax resources don't pay for those meetings, attendees do. Traveling to present our research findings to our peers is a professional obligation, not a part of each individual job.

I have been an outspoken critic of inflated expenses at the SHA or other conferences, but I also cannot overstate the value of conference attendance for those trying to build their careers.  My advice has always been to attend and be frugal: share a room among eight people, eat peanut butter sandwiches instead of going out to breakfast, don't drink beer or wine at the hotel bar, get with other parents to form a hotel child-care cooperative, and so on.  Building networks with people to help share costs as a student creates networks that last over your professional lifetime.

I might add that social media has made the process of finding roommates or ride shares much, much easier. When we suggested facilitating this at the SHA during the 1990s, when we were students, the SHA board was horrified at the potential legal liabilities such a service would cause.  Social Media has made that concern evaporate. The UK meeting was an excellent example, where they were aggressively using social media to help link up needy travelers with each other and with local hosts.

My thoughts.
Cheers,
Tim Scarlett