HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 25 Apr 2012 13:31:40 -0400
Given the other artifacts are items of a domestic and military nature
perhaps you should look in those directions before settling in on one
interpretation , which I know you are not.  A calf weaner sounds very neat
but I would not rule out a trap as the oval rings appear to be of different
sizes with the cross pieces tapering inward similar to a weir or trap ...for
say the size of a rat?  If it were found in a barn or with other artifacts
typically found in a barn, a calf weaner would sound logical, but in this
case I would recommend caution.

Bill Liebeknecht