From:
David Tharle <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 13 Apr 2012 05:41:38 -0600
Hi Jeff

You didn't say what size Nuc (number of frames) or how strong they are
supposed to be.  If the bees are on 4 or more frames, I would place them
outside (in the spots you intend to keep them) early on a day you're
relatively sure will hit 45-50, but leave them in the Nuc box if
possible.  Raise them off the ground, even slightly , on 2X4s, hive
stands or pallets and wrap with building felt. If the box is just
regular cardboard (not waxed and therefore not likely to stand up to
rain and melt very long), then transfer them during the "heat of the
day" to a regular super.  Cut a piece of 1" blue or pink styrofoam (you
want the dense stuff) slightly larger than a frame (you want it to be
tight to the inside ends of your super and go all the way to the bottom
board and above the frames to the lid) . Use this to replace a frame and
hold the bees on the frames which you received in the Nuc.  This divider
doesn't have to be bee tight and you can put one on either side of the
cluster if you like.  If you have enough, cut one piece to fit over the
whole super (16 1/2" X 20" or whatever "your" equipment measures) under
the lid.  At this time of year run them "hot/crowded", which I find is
very hard for a most beekeepers.  They've had "space" pounded into them.

Also at this time of year we shovel the snow away a few feet around the
hives to take advantage of day time heating.  I know some people with
just a few hives at home will slide wraps on at night and off in the
morning.  The foil bubble wrap insulation works well for that.

Dave Tharle
Ardmore, AB
Canada