HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Tue, 25 Jun 2013 20:16:13 -0500
Part of my review of La Harp's Post.  A good read!!!!!!!!!!!  (The
book ,not my review!)  :-)

 La Harpe’s Post: A Tale of French Wichita Contact on the Eastern
Plains. GEORGE H. ODELL.  University of Alabama Press, Tuscaloosa,
2002.  xx + 488 pp., 79 figures, 105 tables, 11 appendices, notes,
references, list of contributors & index.  6 1/8 x 9 ¼, $29.95
(paper).  ISBN 0-8173-1162-9.
Reviewed by Michael A. Pfeiffer

Very few historical archaeologists ever get a chance to excavate or
research a contact period site.  In 1988, George Odell began field
work on what became a 10 year project on the Lasley Vore protohistoric
site, 34TU65.  Here Odell attempts to tell two stories.  The first is
the tale of the earliest known Europeans, which we know of, to step
foot in what is now the sate of Oklahoma.  “The second story is a
modern archaeological tale relating how stories like the first one are
verified and embellished.”  “It remained a salvage project through the
fieldwork and initial inventory.”  Most salvage archaeology seldom
receives in-depth analysis. Although he does not refer to is as such,
it took Odell’s leadership, the support of an academic institution and
expertise of a broad team of archaeological analysts.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer
The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants.- Camus