Reply To:
HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 15 May 2013 10:39:39 -0500
Content-Type:
text/plain
Parts/Attachments:
text/plain (25 lines)
I would also like to add that you post similar complaints every time someone advertises a major conference here, and I really don't think people should be made to feel guilty because they can go. I can't afford to go to every conference either and always have to wait until they're near enough to drive, but I don't grudge the people who are able to attend. The times I have gone have been very rewarding and interesting, and I don't want anyone taking that away from me. 

Sure, it would be possible to host videoconferences as an alternative, but they won't have the same feel. You won't be able to catch up with old colleagues or have a chance to meet new ones. In an age where we are constantly pulled away from face-to-face interaction with friends and family through social media, texting, smartphones, etc., I find the traditional,  "archaic" conferences a welcome opportunity to reconnect in person. There isn't any reason you couldn't start a videoconference that would be an addition to these conferences, but there are valid reasons to not drop the tradition altogether.

Anna

Sent from my iPhone

On May 15, 2013, at 10:21 AM, sent <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> Maybe we need a book entitled
> 
> "conference center of the mysteries"
> 
> If you have no frame of reference for this - here is a study guide
> 
> http://www.bookrags.com/studyguide-motel-of-the-mysteries/
> 
> And another thought-
> To any travel providers, hotels or conference centers provide funding to support archeology?
> Havent heard of any
> 
> Conrad Bladey
> Archeologist Peasant 

ATOM RSS1 RSS2