HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Anna Lunn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 7 Mar 2013 11:27:31 -0600
If it doesn't match any ammunition types, it could be a decorative finial or clasp, for lack of a better word. We found a similarly shaped artifact on a Civil War period site several years ago. We never could determine the exact use. Similar items were attached to leather bags and a strap would wrap around it to hold the bag closed. Or it could have been the tip of something...like the wooden tips of flagpoles we use now. We also had ammunition, of course, as well as lead bullets that had been altered (filed and/or cut) into what may have been gaming pieces.

Anna Lunn

Sent from my iPhone