HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Wed, 17 Oct 2012 08:01:38 +0800
I work in sand or sandy soils all the time as that is what Western Australia
is built of.

If it is a sandy soil then you should not have too much trouble excavating
down 40 cm.

If it is beach sand I suggest you step your excavation down every 10-15 cm
(depth depends on how loose your sand is and your excavation question
requirements) so that you start off excavating a bigger area then you want
and narrow it down to the target area. This is the method I used at the
Knight & Shenton store site at Cossack. It eliminates the problem of side
wall collapse, gives good plan view but does not give you wall sections to
draw.

Regards

Gaye Nayton