From:
Roger Wood <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 31 Oct 2012 05:38:01 -0700
________________________________

>The affected hive appears queenless, no queen, no brood, no larvae...but lots
>and lots of bees, with what appears to be average stores.  I inquired if >they
>were sure they didn't miss the queen.  Most said they could normally find the
>queen.

I am also in Missouri, but in/near KC.  I had a hive that on first inspection
seemed queenless as you describe. All of my other hives had brood at the time
including capped brood.Late Sept. All of the other hives were bringing in pollen
and all others had open nectar in the combs. This one did not. As you know, we
have had good warm weather and at least close to average rain the last two
months.  I had decided to combine this hive with another, when I went back and
pulled it apart about 10 days later I found a small solid (healthy) patch of
larvae started. So I definitely missed the queen.  I put it back together and
gave them some feed and we will see. They began bringing in pollen after this.
Temps are cooler now and they have stopped foraging it seems for the most part
but still taking syrup.

On another note not necessarily related, I have seen peculiarities this fall in
the plants response to the dry summer and somewhat normal fall here.  Ornamental
crabapple reblooming in September, pin oaks have already dropped their leaves,
 sweet clover reblooming.  It's been an odd year.

Roger
Independence, Mo.