HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

Date:
Thu, 7 Jun 2012 15:57:49 -0500
If you would like to look at some opium pipe bowls, connectors,
saddles and cans, go to: http://www.uiweb.uidaho.edu/aacc/illus.htm

Pipe bowls can be, and have, been made out of every material one can
imagine.  Metal bowls are very rare.  Metal and glass bowls smoke very
hot and there is no absorption into the body of the pipe and do not
form a "cake" inside the bowl.  They become "juicy" with tar and
nicotine sludge in the bottom and are hot to hold. Their advantage in
a frontier environment is that they do not break very easily.  I have
been writing up the tobacco related artifact assemblage from Fort
Atkinson, Nebraska, 1820-1827.  One silver pipe was recovered from the
excavations (Pfeiffer, Michael A.,2010 A Silver Tobacco Pipe from the
1820-1827 Military Fort Atkinson, Nebraska, USA. Society for Clay
Tobacco Pipe Research Newsletter 77:38-39. Spring/Summer).
Most metal pipes have NO markings on them.

I have a draft two page bibliography on metal pipes if anyone cares to
peruse it.

--
Smoke Pfeiffer

Still waiting to be killed by the hole in the ozone layer.
ABO