From:
Stan Sandler <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Oct 2012 13:46:48 -0300
>  And of course the magic will soon wear off for amitraz.

So are there widespread mites resistant to amitraz in the US?
How many years did it take for resistance?

This is the fourth year I think that I am using it.  It has worked well.  I
use it once in the fall after honey is off (we are in our last week of
pulling honey now) and then do an oxalic trickle when we take the strips
off and wrap the hives.   Mite levels through the rest of the season have
been fine and no DWV each year right up to treatment again.

I am 61 and some of the equipment for 3,000 hives is getting old too.  But
like me it is still serviceable and we are depreciating together.  But I
can move bees and honey in pretty old boxes but cannot do consistent formic
(and maybe thymol) treatments in that equipment.  The thing I like about
strips is they work by contact and do not require air volume control (my
hives are all sizes too).

We have not had bayvarol registered in Canada.  Is that an option for the
next synthetic here, or is it too similar to Fluvalinate.  I was  told in
New Zealand that it puts less residue in the comb, and they had a fairly
long run with no resistance developed I believe.

Stan