Date:
Mon, 17 Sep 2012 23:53:04 -0400
Word of warning.  If I mix a thick syrup in MT and feed in spring or  fall,
I always use hot water.  Not only does it facilitate getting the  sucrose
dissolved and speed up the process of getting clear syrup, its necessary  to
keep the syrup for precipitating back out and clogging feeder screens when
the nights turn cold.

Whereas it may be possible to get a good, stable mix using cold water  - my
experience is that the odds are that a heavy syrup made with cold  water
will result in the sugar dropping out into a viscous sludge as soon as the
weather turns cold.  Maybe if its mixed for a very long time, it will be  ok;
but hot water seems to be the better choice.

Early in my career, I almost starved 60 colonies because I made up the
spring feed for packages using cold water.  It cleared and looked good,  then
settled out the first night in the hive.

Heating the same syrup cleared it, and then it was fine.

Jerry