From:
Peter L Borst <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 8 Jun 2012 11:04:52 -0400
> Dick's comment on my post lead me to wonder just where any ingested systemic pesticide gets into the bees system.

I honestly don't know too much about this, but give me the weekend and I'll get back to you. On the other hand, we know that bees and other organisms absorb compounds through their mouthparts, enabling them to sample them before consuming. Normally this is protective, as when we smell bad food and don't eat it. But some substances, such as cyanide gas, are so toxic that by the time you smell it, you are a goner. So there is a range of reactions from death on contact, to being able to eat and excrete, depending on the substance and the dose. Presumably when bees smell or taste substances some of this is absorbed at that point. How much is another matter.

PLB