Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2012 23:26:31 GMT
In my correspondence with the study authors, most of my objections have been ignored...with the interesting toxicological data being touted as the real value of the paper (despite it's title).  Transgenerational effects have been proposed by one of the authors, the binding of neural receptors during pupation proposed by another of them....all the while, I've contended that the stores were to blame, and that we had no data on the amount of imidacloprid stored in the comb, where it is, or what it's effect might be.

The video of the WCBA presentation is long...but I've been transcribing sections in preparation for our upcoming talk on the subject.  I had forgotten that the _other_ author (Ken Warchol) had said this when asked about the surviving hive that was treated...seems like a closed case to me.

"It was very interesting to see that hive….it was on its way down.

When What happened, during the early part of the summer before we started injecting, within the feeder…the inside feeder…they had buit in comb and stored it  with nectar and honey…and where I found a small cluster of bees.

They shifted over from when we started feeding, into that black feeder.  But they had weakend themselves to a great extent.  That feed in there wasn’t injected.  That’s my theory because I just couldn’t figure out they shifted over to that black feeder..that comb was all built in that had been collected before the injection that infusion we started…so very interesting to find that in that one hive.

They shifted to within that feeder, and they were feeding on that honey…inside feeder…and that’s where the combs go early..as I said…before we started, like I say, the injection…so that honey in there, had no imidacloprid in it.
……….

Obviously, we should have removed all the feeders, but none of the other feeders had the comb in the feeder.  Comb that was built prior to any infusion into the hives."