HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
Alasdair Brooks <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Sep 2014 21:43:57 -0700
Dear HistArchers,

While the plight of the Wedgwood archive has, I think, been discussed here before, I thought it worth updating everyone on where the situation stands since there's now something practical list members can do to help if they want to.

The Wedgwood archive of ceramics, art, and documents - one of the world's great research archives for both the Industrial Revolution and the British ceramics industry, described by UNESCO as "unparalleled in its diversity and breadth" - will be broken up and sold off on the open market unless £2.74 million (US$ 4.45 million) can be raised by the end of November.

The reasons for the sale are complex, but essentially relate to the modern Waterford Wedgwood firm entering bankruptcy administration in 2009, during the global financial crisis.  The company was left with a massive pensions liability of £134 million (US$ 222 million).  But because the Wedgwood _museum_ remained solvent separately from the company, and five museum employees were in the pension plan, the relevant courts ruled that the charitable trust set up by the Wedgwood family failed to protect the Museum's assets (which include the archive) from being sold off to cover company debts (I think I have that right; if not, someone will no doubt correct me).

See here:  http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2014/sep/01/appeal-launched-prevent-breakup-unrivalled-wedgwood-museum-ceramic-archive

The UK's Art Fund charity and the Victoria & Albert Museum, backed by the national Heritage Lottery Fund, have come up with a plan to save the collection.

The Art Fund will buy the collection for £15.75 million, give it to the V&A, who in turn will keep it in the Wedgwood Museum in Stoke.  The Art Fund has raised £13 million from a combination of the Heritage Lottery Fund and private trusts, and is now looking to raise the final £2.74 million via an international appeal.  Any donations will be matched pound for pound by a private charitable trust, doubling the value of any donations received by the appeal.

For details on the appeal, and how you can help (if so inclined):  http://www.savewedgwood.org/

With thanks,

Alasdair Brooks

Joint Editor, Post-Medieval Archaeology
Editor, Society for Historical Archaeology Newsletter