HISTARCH Archives

HISTORICAL ARCHAEOLOGY

HISTARCH@COMMUNITY.LSOFT.COM

From:
"Gallant, Thomas" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 29 Mar 2013 16:09:52 +0000
Dear Colleagues,

I would like to organize a panel at the 2014 SHA conference in Québec city on the theme of recent developments and trends in Mediterranean historical archaeology. The goal of the panel would be to explore the current  state–of–play regarding the study of the historical archaeology of Mediterranean cultures after the end of the Middle Ages. In this context, what constitutes the Mediterranean is more expansive rather than narrow and includes the Iberian Peninsula, Italy, the Balkans, the area surrounding the Black Sea, Anatolia, the other domains of the Ottoman Empire, and North Africa. While the study of post-Medieval archaeology elsewhere in Europe is a well developed and highly visible field, the historical archaeology of the Mediterranean is less well-known. The goal of the panel, then, is to highlight recent developments in the region and, hopefully, to launch the establishment of a network linking historical archaeologists working in the post-Medieval Mediterranean.

If you are interested in participating in the panel, please contact off list me at: [log in to unmask]

Many thanks,
Tom Gallant

--------
Professor Thomas W.  Gallant
Nicholas Family Endowed Chair
Professor of Modern Greek History and Archaeology

Department of History 0104
University of California San Diego
9500 Gilman Drive
La Jolla, CA 92093-0104